World Book Day

March 6, 2010


I discovered that yesterday, March 4, was World Book Day through Blipfoto, where I post my 365-days project. Since I'm a food lover, I love to read books that have stories related to food. However, I did really get into it until the beginning of the year. If you're interested to know the books that I have been reading so far, here is my compiling list. The books that I heart the most (so far) are The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones and A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg.


The Last Chinese Chef is a fiction story of widowed American food writer, Maggie McElroy, who finds out that someone in China has filed a paternity claim against her husband's estate after a year of her husband's death. Because of this, she asks her editor for time off to go to China and take care of this matter. However, her editor assigns her a project to profile rising cuilinary star Sam Liang, who is a half-Chinese American Chef living in Beijing. This is how the story of Maggie's charactoer developed . I love this book not only because it has a food-related story, but it also gives you an insight of Chinese's culinary and political history and culture. This book combines the stories of food, history, culture, love, and friendship into one. I think it's a well-written and well-researched fiction. I found that I became engaged in the story, and it was hard to put the book down.

A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table is a non-fiction book that Molly Wizenberg shares her personal life stories, along with her recipes. It is fascinating to learn about her personal life stories and also the stories behind the recipes that she gives in the book. The book offers a wide range of flavors; sad, happy, funny, love...you name it, with variety of recipes. After I read through her book, I feel the need of trying the recipes that she shares. Molly also has a food blog called Orangette. So, if you're interested, feel free to drop by and check it out. I borrowed this book from a library, so I think I'll need to get my own copy of this. A paperback version is coming out at the end of the month, so I can't wait!

After finished Molly's book yesterday, I'm currently I love, I lost, I made Spaghetti by Giulia Melucci. Not much I can say about this book yet since I started last night. However, it is interesting to read and learn about food and culture...from Chinese to French...and now Italian...

No comments:

Post a Comment