Orange and Almond Cake

June 9, 2010


It has been a month since my last post. Now, I'm back at home in Bangkok, Thailand. It's nice to be back here. I feel like a foreigner in my own homeland since I haven't been living here for the past ten years.  It will take me quite sometimes to get used to the buzzing and the hot weather again! During the last two weeks since I've been back, I have been running around and doing lots of thing with my parents. I went up to Chiang Mai which is a city that locates at the northern of Thailand to visit my grandma for a week. I visited many temples in Chiang Mai. I posted some of the pictures in my 365-days project. Feel free to drop by!



When I was in Chiang Mai, my mom took me to a baking-supplies store. I bought couple ingredients and cake pans, so I can start baking again when I came back in Bangkok. To be honest, I never ever bake when I'm back at home in Thailand. It will take me sometimes to know where would be the best places to buy my baking supplies. However, what I found the most challenging is to trust someone else's oven. I tried not to judge the look of my parents' oven. LOL. Somehow, I just do not trust it. Before I left Toronto, I decided to buy an oven thermometer. So, this way I know that at least I will get a right temperature and everything should turn out okay...and it did! 

The first recipe that I make is Orange and Almond Cake. Couple days before I arrived, my mom boiled some oranges and froze them in the freezer. So, she was asking me whether I can make something out of it. So, I went on TasteSpotting and found an orange cake recipe from Peter at Souvlaki For the Soul which uses boiled oranges. I love this recipe because there is no use of flour, butter, or oil. I would say it's pretty healthy kind of cake. It's moist, dense and not too sweet. Everyone in the family loves it. So, thumbs up for the cake and for the oven too!



Orange Almond Cake
(Adapted from Souvlaki For The Soul)

2 large oranges, boiled
6 eggs, lightly beaten
250 gr. of ground almond
160 gr. of sugar **
1 tsp baking powder
icing sugar, dusting

** The original recipe calls for 250 gr. of sugar. After I read the comments, I decided to reduce the sugar to 160 grams. The sweetness turns out to be perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.**

Place the oranges in a medium pot. Add water until the oranges is barely covered. Cover the pot and boil the oranges for 2 hours. Let it cool to the room temperature. Once it is cool, cut them into segments. Remove any seeds. Cut them into small pieces. Set aside.

Preheat the oven at 375F. Butter and flour a 24cm springform pan. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the ground almond, sugar, and baking powder. Set aside.

Using a food processor, blend the oranges and the eggs quite thoroughly together. Pour the egg mixture into a large bowl and slowly add the almond mixture. Mix until incorporated.

Pour the cake mixture into the springform pan and bake for 45 mins to 1 hour or until the knife come out clean.

Cool it on a rack to room temperature. Dust with icing sugar before serving.

13 comments:

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Glad you loved the cake. It's one of my favourites and def very easy. Love the styling on the pictures too!

The Urban Baker said...

this looks light and yummy!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the recipe. Just made it and it's really easy and delicious.

Anonymous said...

Please tell me where you bought your oven thermometer in Toronto. I need one.
Thanks.

whisk the pantry said...

Hi Anonymous, I bought my oven thermometer at St. Lawrence Market on Front St E & Lower Jarvis St. There is a kitchen store on the main level. Their store is small, but have tons of stuff. You will find lots of baking supplies there. Goodluck!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for a stupid question, but could you tell, please, if oranges need to be peeled when cool or used whole? Thanks for the recipe, looks fantastic, I am going to try it out. Greetings from Ukraine.

whisk the pantry said...

Hi Anonymous, you don't need to peel the oranges. Just remove seeds and cut them into small pieces (include the peel) before you place them into the food processor. Let me know if you have any more question. Thanks!

Shivani said...

What can I replace ground almonds with? Can I replace it with ground oats?
Thanks for the help..

whisk the pantry said...

Hi Shivani, I hope I'm not too late replying your comment. Sorry about that. I don't think you can replace ground almonds with ground oats. Will you be able to find blanched almonds? You can ground it yourself using your food processor. Below is a good site about ground almond. I hope it helps. Let me know if there is anything. :)

http://www.practicallyedible.com/ground-almonds

Anonymous said...

the orange mixture taste bitter is it normal?

whisk the pantry said...

Hi Anonymous,
I'm not sure why the mixture taste bitter. Did you boil the oranges long enough?

Anonymous said...

I dont have a blender, can I do it by hand successfully?

Joy

whisk the pantry said...

Hi Joy, I think you can't do it by hand because the oranges will not be cut finely and blended into the cake mixture. I'm afraid that you will end up with chuck textured cake.

Post a Comment